Yes I agree. The way I test the GitHub API now is by running a local server
which returns my JSON representation..

I looked at other API bindings to GitHub written in ruby to find an
approach for testing[1].
A nice feature I saw there was recording requests in a "Cassette".
This way you run your requests once "live", and afterwards everything can
be done offline

1: https://github.com/peter-murach/github#7-testing