Hi Peter,

On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 12:05 AM, Peter Uhnak <i.uh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Privacy>>sendDiagnosticsAndUsageData should be ternary, not binary.
>
> Because right now if I refuse sending the data I will be asked again every
> single time.

Indeed right now, at least in Spotter, the notification is shown every time
it is opened in
a new image, even if the setting was explicitly set. It was done like this
as a reminder,
especially if you have the setting set to true.

> So the proper behavior (imho) should be:
>
> ask Privacy for the setting… if the setting is not defined, then show a
> popup.
> If the setting is defined then respect it and do not show another popup.

The current behaviour with showing the notification in Spotter and Nautilus
should be a temporary one.
Ideally we just need a single uniform way of showing this notification plus
the option to control
and see the data that each tool wants to record at a fined-grained level.

> Also it would be nice to know what happens with the data.

We store it on a server and use it for various analyses.
It is also publicly available: GTEventTool default download.

> I mean my projects are open source so "sendSourceCode" shouldn't be an
> issue… but what you can possibly learn from it?
> Why not just analyze the content of SmalltalkHub/GitHub?

Because if you have the setting enabled it does not always work to map
different actions that with the code that you are working on.

Cheers,
Andrei