Ah yes that's the tool.

Generally speaking if you plan to contribute to the repo very frequently
being a contributor will allow you to commit directly since in most cases
you will be familiar with the repo and know what you doing.

I see a pull request as a way to moderate commits by people that cannot be
trusted or that are not regular contributors.

In case of a pull request it's the workflow that Peter describes but I
prefer an addition step, open an issue or link your request to an issue. It
make tracking pull requests easier and cleaner.