Looks like a leading " turns off highlighting as well ... and the highlighting is turned off in the expression(s) *BEFORE* the syntax error which is not very useful ... I may not notice that the syntax highlighting has turned off until I have typed quite a few a characters and with the whole block white I cannot find the starting point of the error ... was it the leading " or an accidental [ ... I find myself having to parse Smalltalk code again ... something I haven't had to do for years (maybe even decades) :)

Dale