Nicolai Hess-3-2 wrote

> brant@

> >:
>
>> On 08/31/2016 08:46 AM, Nicolai Hess wrote:
>>
>> Anyone knows why RefactoringBrowsers smalltalk scanner (RBScanner)
>>> explicit allowes
>>>   "#($± $· $× $÷)" to be binary selector characters ?
>>>

>> I do -- I added them about 20 years ago :)...
>>
>> Is there any smalltalk dialect that uses these characters ?
>>>

>> VW allows them. When possible, we made the scanner/parser be a superset
>> of
>> the VW & VA syntax.
>>

>> John Brant
>>

> Thank you John, for the info.
> Hm, now, what to do, fix our (pharo) parser to allowe these characters as
> binary selectors or change the scanner to not
> generate binary selector tokens for them...

I would argue that when Zerox PARC created Smalltalk ASCII was all they had
to choose from. 40 years later, we have Unicode and we have people from
around the world using Smalltalk. Most of them are not native English
speakers.

Having a Smalltalk implementation that supports Unicode selectors, unary,
binary, or keyword, would be a good and welcome things.