Hi Stef,

I think that you are raising a valid point, and I actually agree with it.

But I think there is another side of the coin as well.

I think that right now we are in between worlds and this is not quite
beneficial. Switching to GitHub is a significant effort, and treating it as
business as usual will not work. That is why I think it is so important that we
committed to the move for Pharo 7 and that we invest in the infrastructure.
But, this will not be enough either if we do not get people to exercise it as
soon as possible.

To give an example. When the first version of Iceberg was announced, I started
to use it for a couple of projects. I stumbled across problems that prevented
me from working for several weeks. I could have easily switched to
SmalltalkHub, but I did not. I connected with Nicolas and we worked through
those problems. Btw, Nicolas is doing a wonderful job, and people should not
take this for granted. He tends to be shy, so if you see him around, please
give him a hug and let him know that we count on him. Or better yet, use
Iceberg for your projects and send him your feedback :).

I am sure that there are more problems ahead, and the only way to go through
them is committing to go through them. This will push us back for a while, but
I really believe in the promise once we get on the other side. I actually think
that GitHub is not really a good match for Pharo from a conceptual point of
view (the mismatch between what it offers and what we need is quite large), but
it is an engineering decision that makes perfect sense for the future. So, yes,
we should take GitHub with a grain of salt, and make it a goal to not change
much our concept of what makes sense for Pharo. For example, we should not give
up on having to resort to the file system. That is why it is so important to
make Iceberg (this is not for you Stef because I know you know it, but for
others :)).

And I certainly agree that we should look for sane patterns, but as it goes
with patterns, they emerge out of practice.

I think we should aim for limiting the time of being in between the two worlds.
It will not be pleasant, and we can only do it if we stick together and go
through it as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Doru

--