hi David,

Maybe you could compile your own VM, adding add AioPlugin.
In my very first attempt to build the VM I found the instructions here
relatively easy .
* https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm
That will give you the newest pre-opensmalltalk-vm. But maybe AioPlugin was
excluded from Linux for a reason.

However future VMs will be built from opensmalltalk-vm where you can see
plugins.int for many of the Squeak build configurations include AioPlugin.
*
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=AioPlugin+&type=Code

plus Pharo mac builds there have it...
*
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/9d4e68e555ba7b712a8c92047c95a78e840048cd/build.macos32x86/pharo.stack.spur/plugins.int
*
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/e3bc947d19a2f157cb8122396e293f5c2ba62a8f/build.macos64x64/pharo.cog.spur/plugins.int

with binaries available here...
https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/201701192114#files

I don't see an opensmalltalk-vm pharo linux build yet, but I expect its in
the plan and maybe will include AioPlugin by default..

cheers -ben