Hey guys, thanks for all the replies,

I know there there are many ways to do it right, but I don’t have time to do a
nice implementation because I want to see if I can hack something out of the
data that I have and so I just need a way to see whether my image is busy.

This did a job for me (and it’s the shortest thing I came up with, so I can put
into my snippets collection):
(Morph newAnonymousSubclass
        compile: 'step self color: self color negated';
        compile: 'stepTime ^ 500';
        new) openInHand

Cheers
Uko