Hi Thierry,

Thanks for the measurements. Things are more clear now :)

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 11:52 PM, Thierry Goubier <thierry.goub...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Andrei,
>
> Le 24/02/2017 à 17:02, Andrei Chis a écrit :
>
>> Hi Thierry,
>>
>> Strangely enough I'm getting different times on my machine
>> Just to start from the same baseline in a fresh Pharo 60411 image with
>> no changes to any of the inspectors over a series of runs I get:
>>
>> array := (1 to: 1000000) asArray.
>> [array inspect] timeToRun.                       "0:00:00:00.145"
>> [GTInspector inspect: array] timeToRun. "0:00:00:00.031"
>>

> Yes, this is expected. I'm not comparing to the standard EyeInspector, but
> with my experiments with a FastTable-derived widget and the EyeInspector
> model. GTInspector is a lot faster than the normal EyeInspector.
>
> As default (the only one displaying 100k elements is the AltInspector)
>
> | array |
> array := (1 to: 1000000) asArray.
> [AltInspector inspect: array ] timeToRun. "0:00:00:00.096"
> [EyeInspector inspect: array] timeToRun.  "0:00:00:00.364"
> [GTInspector inspect: array] timeToRun. "0:00:00:00.065"

Indeed this is what I expected.

> If I change indexableDisplayLimit to 50000 and remove the Items view
>> then I get:
>>
>> [GTInspector inspect: array] timeToRun.  "0:00:00:00.124"
>>

> [GTInspector inspect: array] timeToRun. "0:00:00:00.256"
>
> So this time is to be compared to the "0:00:00:00.096".

Can you just also try to remove the Items view and set
indexableDisplayLimit to 50.
I think there is some small performance degradation in the current tree
data source used by Glamour but I'm not 100% sure.

> I'm really interested in seeing what makes GTInspector slower on your
>> machine. Did you do other optimizations to SpecInspector?
>>

> The optimisations are:
> - remove Spec (revert to a pure morphic application),
> - use a FastTable-derived widget for a tree view (with a 100k element
> limit),
> - have the GT views as subitems in the widget.

Nice. Would be also interesting to see if in the future we can merge more
the models used by GTInspector and EyeInspector.

For now, for the Raw view I set the limit to 5000 elements. This seems
fast/large enough and it allows to add the automatic refresh back to the
Raw view.

Cheers,
Andrei