On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 12:05:58PM +0200, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
> we moved the paradigm a couple of years ago: each Pharo version comes with
> his own VM version (Other smalltalks do that too).

Ah, I didn't know that; that clarifies the situation to me, so I will not shut
up about incompatibility. :)

> Being infinite backward compatible is a lot of pain :)

Yes, I certainly understand the value in that.

> so yes, PharoLauncher needs to adapt to it… I added that requirement for
> PharoLauncher: you ship with latest stable but you can always download newers
> or olders (this is not yet implemented, is just a requirement I added… well,
> couple of years ago when we changed the way we wanted VMs to work).

Maybe a suggestion... could we have a PharoVM facade that would delegate to the
appropriate VM? (And ideally a all-vms.zip), because Pharo Launcher is not the
only way Pharo is launched, so having to always think about which pharo to
launch is bit annoying; e.g. on linux I use a shell script, but a canonical
solution would be nice.

Peter