On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 6:39 PM, Stan Krupoderov <pashel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Esteban,
>
>> we moved the paradigm a couple of years ago: each Pharo version comes with
>> his own VM version
> Thanks for clarification. I see your point. Will it be always the same way
> or it should be changed once VM and Pharo 6 are stabilized?

I would imagine....   it would be good for some engineering time to be allocated
(if its feasible) to backport a small number of critical things like
Athens fix to Pharo 5.
We don't want to show we abandon it completely.  Did it get a spring update?

But resources are limited and Pharo 7 will have a completely
new development process with git, which may need some priority care
to iron out any issue arising out of its public use.

> How update scenario should be handled in this case on the user side?
> Will it be File-out and File-in for all user changes?

This would always be the same to move your code from a Pharo 5 image
to a Pharo 6 image, unrelated to the VM.

> And unfortunately this doesn't add clarity on why Pharo 5 is so unstable out
> of the box and if
> there any plans to fix existing issues in Pharo 5. Do you have any thoughts
> on this matter?
> Can we help with this?

Which specific issues?
Do you have reproducible cases?

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <esteba...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

btw, One thing I never quite get is this fluid alpha/beta/release status.
So Pharo 6 is alpha now?  and releases is two/three weeks?
Thats a fairly narrow beta window ;)
(but anyway I'm overall happy with the process & progress)

>> > Well considering VM for Pharo 5 never worked for me properly, whether it
>> > was crashing on BitBlt/Cairo, FT, or who knows what, I don't really have a
>> > choice but to use the latest. If there is a better way then I am all ears,
>> > constantly dealing with crashing VM when I need to get work done is
>> > extremely frustrating...

Not always feasible, but in reality you may get better support using
the bleeding edge.
Sure occasionally something blows up, but when that happens generally
you can personally hang back a few builds.  The bleeding edge is where
most of the "Pharo" devs
work, and if you can show a problem that affect where they are
working, it is sometimes dealt with quite quickly.

Now Pharo 5 I think may be a special case.
The change to Spur and UFFI were *really*big* changes.
So perhaps some problem remained to be ironed out.
Pharo 6 has had another 12 months with Spur and UFFI.
(but personally I don't remember major problems near Pharo 5 release)

>> > Also I was under the impression that newer VM should work with older
>> > images, with the only exception being Cog/Spur change.

I think this still remains Squeak policy.
Pharo's policy is to push ahead more, and with limited resources that means
we can't carry too much baggage.

cheers -ben