Yesterday I had exactly the same problem. Worked with an image in Windows
during the morning and in the evening tried to open it on my mac with no
success.
The error I had was indeed a path problem. The image was trying to resolve a
path in windows.
I eventually got the image running but with limited usage. I couldn't open
the playground.
I ran some test -especially onf FileSystem and saw that a lot of them not
passed.
So had to re-build the image I was working on from latest.
Now I'm opening that image in a Windows machine with no problems so
far...let's see what happens in the evening.
Cheers
Nacho

-----
Nacho