Le 13/05/2017 à 15:43, Esteban Lorenzano a écrit :

On 13 May 2017, at 13:16, Yuriy Tymchuk <yuriy.tymc...@me.com>
wrote:

I’m not a bit expert, but if you don’t use “metadataless” format
everything works fine with monticello. I.e. each git commit
contains all the mc history.

yes, but with iceberg we did another choice: we force metadataless
and do not keep compatibility with monticello. this is like that by
design: keeping the metadata was too much noise and generated a lot
of conflicts we don’t want.

The metadata-less format was experimented with before Iceberg because we knew that recreation of MC-compatible metadata out of the vcs log was already working.

Then FileTree (and MC) was modified to make sure that the metadata-less format would be compatible with MC.

Now, Iceberg has decided to be non-compatible with MC. But this has nothing to do with the underlying format.

So, using iceberg is not using git as “just another repository format
as http, ftp, etc.”. If you want  to keep both versions, then you
need to save in mc format then save again in iceberg (or viceversa).

Which looks clumsy at best and at worse, will make the transition to Iceberg a pain.

Thierry

Esteban

Uko

On 13 May 2017, at 09:28, Thierry Goubier