On 1 July 2017 at 13:28, Peter Uhnak <i.uh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In mcz/monticello, every package has an independent history and can change
> independently of each other.
> In git, this history is merged into a single hierarchy, therefore:
>         * a specific version of package A mandates specific versions of
> every other package in the project
>         * it is not possible to do a 1:1 migration from mcz to git and
> keep this flexibility

Did you ever use that feature (to achieve something precise, not just
because it's here)?

The only solution I see is to either separate every package to a separate
> git project to keep the flexibility or use git subtree/git module... which
> are both complications...

Yes, it's a pain… might be useful in some cases but I think most of the
time versioning each package of a project independently is just cognitive
noise.

As a git commit specifies the code in the entire project, even across
> packages, then I wonder what is the point of expressing package
> dependencies _within_ the project (whether in BaselineOf or Cargo).

Load order?

--
Damien Pollet