On 1 July 2017 at 13:28, Peter Uhnak <i.uh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> after many-o-hours spent on my git-migration tool (
> https://github.com/peteruhnak/git-migration ), I've concluded that the
> migration cannot be properly done for packages.

Let us hope this effort can be salvaged!

> In mcz/monticello, every package has an independent history and can change
> independently of each other.
> In git, this history is merged into a single hierarchy, therefore:

Git does not strictly require you to put all of your commits into a single
hierarchy. You can also have multiple root commits in the same repository
i.e. multiple parallel hierarchies of commits. Then you can combine these
together with merge commits if/when you want to have them in the same tree
(afaik.)

See 'git commit --orphan' for introducing a new root commit into the repo.

So thinking aloud...

Perhaps for each package could you create a dedicated branch (A, B, ...)
with its own root commit? This way each package would have a distinct
history on its private branch and not be prone to collisions. If you want
to combine multiple packages into one tree then you could create a new
branch (A+B) that merges the required per-package branches (which remain
isolated and pristine.)

Just an idea -- sorry if I have misunderstood your use case, and let me
know if this idea requires more explanation.

Cheers,
-Luke