On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:54 AM, Esteban A. Maringolo <emaring...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> You hit several birds with one single mail.

> > Jimmie et al. nicely reasoned arguments - and Doru's point about
> controlling
> > the syntax is an interesting one that I hadn’t thought about.
> >
> > Personally, I find having too many similar syntax’s confusing -
> contributing
> > to things is hard enough - having to remember that its !! Instead of ##
> and
> > “” instead of ** is just frustrating for me.
>
> +1

> Not only for docs, most platforms like Slack/Discord share the syntax,
> so now I'm getting "muscle memory" when typing literals using the
> backtick (`) character, quoting with > or pasting snippets using ```

+1.  So I've posted this before...

https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/06/03/strategy-letter-iii-let-me-go-back/
describing that "The only strategy in getting people to switch to your
product is to eliminate barriers"

But more... the best reason for Pillar to support a Markdown-ish syntax, is
that when we scratch-our-own-itch (nominally for Pillar) to build the best
damn markup-editor ever (because we can!) - if this happened to support
Markdown it can draw in Markdown-non-Pharo users (because its the best
editor ever!). Those users later want to make modifications, and now have a
*reason* to learn Pharo... ahHaA! now you see the cunning plan...

So don't just promote to people "hey come and play with this cool toy of
ours (Pharo)."
Instead give them a toy they *already-want* (Markdown editor) and then when
they want to change the batteries, they *need* to use our special
screwdriver (Pharo).

cheers -ben