On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Denis Kudriashov <dionisi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I'd even call them First class pragmas from that point of view :P
>>

> Yes.
> But we decided avoid pragma related names here. Because in future it can
> be possible to add normal pragmas into the class definition.
>

>> I wonder what are the side-effects of instantiating the annotation
>> yourself in a method.
>>
>> specialAnnotationExample
>>     <classAnnotation>
>>     ^MySpecialAnnotation new
>>

> I not understand the question. You supposed to return an *instance* of
> the annotation from the "annotating method".
>

>> I mean, I understand we can use the class state to initialize the
>> annotation. But the fact that the annotation is cached after its first
>> instantiation means that the annotation will not necessarily evolve as the
>> class evolves.
>>

> Cache is updated after related class changes: method added, removed and so
> on (driven by PragmaCollector logic). So outdated annotations should not
> exist.
> Is it what you ask?

Nope, imagine you do

RenamePackageCommand class>>packageBrowserShortcutActivation

<classAnnotation>

^CmdShortcutCommandActivation by: *$r meta* for: someInstVarOfMyClass

If your someInstVarOfMyClass changes its value after the creation of the
Annotation object, you're dead.

>> Do we want annotations to be stateless? Or depend only in literals?
>>

> I want annotations to be any object with any state inside. Of course you
> will be restricted by what is visible from the class side. But in
> "annotating method" you can create any complex object (see below).
>

>> I wonder then what is the main difference with
>>
>> specialAnnotationExample
>>     <classAnnotation: MySpecialAnnotation>
>>
>> And what is the impact of having an annotation with parameters.
>>

> Generally it is same like having pragma with parameters.
> But with annotation you are not restricted by literal objects. So
> annotation parameters can be anything.
>
> And it is important feature for Commander.
> For example I need instance of KMKeyCombination to define shortcut for
> command. So I just use normal expression for this:
>
> RenamePackageCommand class>>packageBrowserShortcutActivation
>
> <classAnnotation>
>
> ^CmdShortcutCommandActivation by: *$r meta* for: ClyPackageBrowserContext
>

> It will be very complicated to express it with method pragma and it will
> be restricted anyway.
>
> Another important point is that class annotation is first class object
> which means that you can add behaviour to it.

Yes, I get that and I like the idea that the Annotation is not just a
command pattern with an execute method. It can be more than that and that's
the interesting part of it. Otherwise a normal pragma can just replace it.

--

Guille Polito

Research Engineer

CRIStAL - UMR 9189