The setup finally somehow works:

I followed the guide at
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo/wiki/Contribute-a-fix-to-Pharo

* wget -O- get.pharo.org/70+vm | bash

Does not work (windows msys-console)
It starts donwloading something but not pharo

I tried to do at seperate steps:
Only the image
* wget -O- get.pharo.org/70 | bash

Works

* wget -O- get.pharo.org/vm | bash

works, but is the wrong VM I guess, I can not open the image

* wget -O- get.pharo.org/vm70 | bash

works, seems to load the right vm

* ./pharo-ui Pharo.image

Starts the vm but complains about :
"Pharo cannot write to the changes file named u:\tmp\pharo\Pharo.changes."

I am sure the file is writable.

The vm reports to be built on aug 27 2017, is this right?

Setting up Iceberg:
Yes, need option 2, that is, I use the commandline to clone a repository
and
add it to iceberg. Cloning from iceberg directly does not work (long file
names).

Ok,
now I see some uncommitted changes, the guide says: "you may need to invoke
synchronize"

But how?
There is a "synchronize repository... " and "Synchronize full repository
..."
menu entry.

Which one?
The first synchronize does not show me how to actually do anything
and the second one shows a intimidating warning :)
FInally I removed my fork (it was pretty old), did a new fork and sstarted
with
a fresh image.

Finally, the initial setup up is done, I now try to do some work with it
and report back

nicolai