On mer. 14 mars 2018 at 18:18, Marcus Denker <marcus.den...@inria.fr> wrote:

> > On 9 Mar 2018, at 23:34, Torsten Bergmann <asta...@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Additional portable versions would be nice too (based on a simple ZIP)
> instead of only the installable apps
> >

> Is there a deeper reason for this? If I look at “other systems”, they
> manage to have *one* download, *one* way of installing.
> For me, offering *a lot* of possible different ways means that the user
> has to choose without knowing why there is even the option to choose…

The problem is that Pharo is different from other systems. When you install
eclipse, you'll use the installed eclipse for all your projects for a long
time.

Pharo images are more like a "disposable". You'll not use the same Pharo
image for multiple big projects and you'll more easily throw away an image
to take a new one from time to time.

Actually I think I download and delete around 5 images/day sometime.

This complicate a little things because sometime you want to directly
download one image. Sometime you want to have one application to manage
your images (Pharo launcher)

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr