> On 15 Mar 2018, at 00:08, Cyril Ferlicot <cyril.ferli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On mer. 14 mars 2018 at 18:18, Marcus Denker <marcus.den...@inria.fr
> <mailto:marcus.den...@inria.fr>> wrote:
>

> > On 9 Mar 2018, at 23:34, Torsten Bergmann <asta...@gmx.de
> > <mailto:asta...@gmx.de>> wrote:
> >
> > Additional portable versions would be nice too (based on a simple ZIP)
> > instead of only the installable apps
> >

> Is there a deeper reason for this? If I look at “other systems”, they manage
> to have *one* download, *one* way of installing.
> For me, offering *a lot* of possible different ways means that the user has
> to choose without knowing why there is even the option to choose…
>
> The problem is that Pharo is different from other systems. When you install
> eclipse, you'll use the installed eclipse for all your projects for a long
> time.
>
> Pharo images are more like a "disposable". You'll not use the same Pharo
> image for multiple big projects and you'll more easily throw away an image to
> take a new one from time to time.
>
> Actually I think I download and delete around 5 images/day sometime.
>
> This complicate a little things because sometime you want to directly
> download one image. Sometime you want to have one application to manage your
> images (Pharo launcher)

For me, the Launcher should be the “VM Download”, that comes with a) a default
template image of the release and b) the launcher too to discover images.

*But* it should be done in a way that you can of course just download more
images (and I would love to have images actually being “one file”) and, having
Pharo installed, you can run them, using the “Pharo” that you have installed
(the launcher).

The “Launcher” should feel more like “I have installed Pharo, now I can run
images”.

As such, I think we should add back links that point to single image downloads
on the download page.

        Marcus