Hi Torsten

Thanks for this question.

Ephemerons do not work in Pharo sadly and we know it. We cannot then
take advantage of them.
What you see is in fact a degradation of the situation around the VM. :(
We are concerned about this but the path for our future in this domain
is unclear.

What is clear is that we will reduce the number of Plugin (as pablo
did for freetype) and use FFI.
But FFI callbacks are not really good. And we need a threaded VM. Now
nothing happens on this front.

Let us face it there is a bad energy around. After years of discussion
our engineers
are still struggling and slowed down because of the dispersion of plugin code.
In addition, from what I understood there is no development branch :)
amazing is not it in 2020!

On another scale, since 1 year, I was focusing on making that our
institute offers a permanent position to Clement but I failed
because the forces against where too strong (politics) and clement
should reapply next year.
Now to improve his CV, clement is doing a postdoc at VUB and will
start working on Truffle (the VM of Oracle)
and continue to work part time on Sista.
This is not that bad,  like that he will gain experience on other
systems and in the future
we will be in the position to see if there are real alternatives for
us. May be writing a new VM
on top of other existing infrastructure is the way to go. We will see
in the future.

To be fully transparent

- we will have one phd working on IoT and how to reduce/clean the image and
VM size and many other points she will probably work on a fork because
I cannot suicide a
student (by asking her to understand the messy plugin architecture)
and she will need some space to experiment.
Now if improvements she will perform take ages to be integrated in the
main VM I will ask
her not to do it and to focus on her future and science.
I imagine that everybody paying attention to people can understand this.

Stef