Ben Coman wrote
> the most important are...
> performance, portability and development speed.

I wonder about this because Ruby and Python are no speed demons and it's
hard to imagine anyone (except maybe lisp) beating Smalltalk in development
speed.

I didn't read the article, but it seems to me the main factor in popularity
is random chance because the industry is a pop culture where trends are more
about being cool (or getting a job) than any underlying principles. Coding
"academies" seem to be the latest caricature of this phenomenon: "Want to
code? For just $1,995 we'll will get you job ready w the sexiest languages
in just 3 weeks! And that's not all… we'll even throw in this ironic hipster
coding T-shirt for free!!"

That said, IMHO mainstream popularity is a curse. The sweet spot is a
critical mass where the core and desired libraries are available and
maintained.

-----
Cheers,
Sean