Hello all,

Flaps will be easier to remove than to replace, and toolbars and menus
come to mind, of course.  "The" world menu is a concept that always
bothers me a little: while I like having the ability to run Pharo with
what amounts to MDI (child shells in a single main window), it would be
nice to have each shell/SystemWindow be a host window.  In the latter
situation, flaps and world menu are (correct me if I am wrong) largely
homeless.  Ok, a flap could be a host window of sorts (perhaps hidden
when Pharo does not have focus), but Pharo no longer owns the desktop,
so the world menu is gone, right??  Maybe it simply _should_ be gone in
that case.

In terms of flaps, they no doubt add to drawing overhead.  Would that
not improve if the polling were converted to handling events?  Another
helpful change would be to either replace "tearing off" a new tool to
clicking/releasing a command button that simply opens it at default
location and size, or changing the dragging to respect the fast window
drag setting.  I invariably set that even on new machines (not that I am
quick to replace old ones).

Bottom line: faster GUI code never hurts.  A pop or a fast drag off of a
flap should help.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: (352) 273-6785
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/27/08 1:59 AM >>>
OK we will go slowly there.
One of the problem is that flaps are taking also a cpu