Em 04/01/2010 06:24, Mariano Martinez Peck < marianop...@gmail.com > escreveu:

> Please, don't  say "NOOOOO!"  immediately. Read the  mail carefully,
> take a deep breath and think cold.
>  After working a couple of weeks in the Metacello configurations and
> now with Damien's scripts to build Dev and Web images, I came to the
> question: Do we really need a PharoWeb image?
>   I will give just my opinions  of why having PharoWeb images is not
> a good idea anymore
[snipped]

On the whole I appreciate and agree with the reasoning.

>  Here is my proposal:
>  1) Completely remove  the idea of PharoWeb image.  Remove the links
> from the website and do not create Web images any more.

+1

>  2) In http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download add a description
>  explaining that now  Seaside images are based in  Pharo, so you can
>  directly  download that  image. We  can  even explain  a bit  about
>  seaside, and even if you want  you can put a href called "PharoWeb"
>  which links to  the seaside image. However, I  would rather call it
>  "PharoSeaside".

I think here we have to work hard to stress this fact since IIUC the
/pièce de résistance/ for Pharo is having all production work done by
Seaside.

> 3)  Tomorrow we can  have AidaWeb images  based in
>  pharo (please Janko!!)  so we can just do the same and put the link
>  to those images.

While I'm fond of the idea on having AidaWeb very soon as possible, I
also think we should put ourselves in Janko's shoes and understand
that he'll need to master Metacelllo to arrive at the packaging. . .

> 4) You may notice that Seaside images are a bit "different" than our
> Dev images.  This is  mostly due to  the preferences, the  theme and
> maybe some  tools (ECompeltion  instead of OCompletion,  etc..). So,
> what  I  suggest  is  to   prepare  a  little  script  that  can  be
> downloadable  and those  people who  want a  Seaside image  but more
> "similar" to our Dev images, just run that script.

I would postpone the publishing of these kind of scripts for a much
more stable Pharo and Metacello (or packaging solution ensuing),
otherwise you'll have the same work as testing the scripts means
creating and testing the packages!!

>  So...what do  you think? I would  really like to  hear your opinion
> about this.

my 0.01999999....

--
Cesar Rabak