The OS/vm is part of it; behavior also depends on whether the network is
configured for ipv6, and perhaps whether or not it is done correctly.  It gets
complicated in a hurry.

From: pharo-project-boun...@lists.gforge.inria.fr
[pharo-project-boun...@lists.gforge.inria.fr] On Behalf Of Hernan Wilkinson
[hernan.wilkin...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 5:27 PM
To: Pharo-project@lists.gforge.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Bug in NetNameResolver on PharoCore 10508?

The changed you suggested worked on my machine, mac os X and also on a Debian.

Hernan.

2010/1/28 Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez
<miguel.c...@gmail.com<mailto:miguel.c...@gmail.com>>
El jue, 28-01-2010 a las 07:57 -0500, Schwab,Wilhelm K escribió:
> I think you are correct about that being a bad change, but there is more
> wrong than just that.  There are IPv6-specific calls that are not protected
> by subsequent tests on #useOldNetwork.  Further, the IPv6 code does not work
> correctly, so many of us appear to need to override #useOldNetwork to always
> return true.  I make that change in #useOldNetwork rather than #initialize.
>
> Bill

Yes, I know that the code is very difficult to understand, mainly
because of the primitives. They brake the understanding you have so far
when you have to switch to c code with a lot of pointers/structs/string
buffers.

The problem here is that, now it is impossible to change the networks
subsystem of Pharo (or squeak). As Mariano said, we *need* to release
1.0 and this bug can be a show stopper.

Also, with due respect to the original coders of the network subsystem,
the code is really convoluted (I know that networking isn't simple), at
least to understand the fully implication of a "simple" change like
this. It is not a well factored code. It mixes GUI prompts, IPv4, IPv6,
primitives and smalltalk code. So I think that is difficult to have
someone with the enough knowledge to change the code so that it works
for now. But that is how things are now. Maybe our own ignorance of the
code is what negates us a fix, but we need to left that apart and work a
solution for the *particular* problem in hand. For 1.1 we can discuss
new implementation if that is required.

As Adrian said, there are users that need useOldNetwork true and some
others that need useOldNetwork to false. The problem is that we don't
fully understand the consequences of both changes.

So, people, we need your help. Those who are most familiar with the
network code, please, please, take a look and suggest a solution for the
1.0 release. *No* full rewrites, no throw code, no blaming, just a
working workaround for this.

Regards

Miguel Coba

--