On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.duca...@inria.fr
> wrote:

> Hi Peter
>
> there is no stupid question! Only people afraid to ask.
> Stupidity is when you ask three times the same question.
> In this list we can ask all the stupid question we want.
>
> So thanks for taking the risk :)
>
> automatic initialize= calling automatically initialize when calling new
>
> avoid to have to all the time write
>
> Box class>>new
>        ^ super new initialize ; yourself
>
> kind of desastrous for newbies. You know after two lectures you have to
> nearly explain metaclasses, and deep super + method lookup...
>
> In Squeak 3.7 we got a chance to have an agreement to have
>
> Behavior>> new
>        ^ self basicNew initialize
> Object>>initialize
>        ^ self
> and some shortcuting behavior on array to speed up the system.
> it makes so many things much much nicer.
>

> On Feb 12, 2010, at 3:15 PM, Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <
> stephane.duca...@inria.fr> wrote:
> > another point, what about automatic initialize?
> > At one point in the past VW (eliot) was really for introducing it in VW
> since it would not cost
> > anything in presence of the JIT.
> > Dolphin people did it on Model but they told me that if they could they
> would remove it.
> > and this is a really important change to lower the entry level and burden
> of newcomers.
> >
> > Now because of "compatibility" we have to code without it for me this is
> a drawback.
> >
> > I know this is probably a stupid question, but rather than miss something
> important, I'll take that risk :-p
> >
> > What do you mean by "automatic initialize"?
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Peter

Thanks, Stef, Cesar

So you're still talking about having the message #initialize being
explicitly sent from within the #new method, right up there on Behavior. I
definitely like this arrangement: one of the first things I always do is to
implement #new that way, as far up as I can in the domain object hierarchy.

For a moment there I imagined you meant some "behind-the-scenes-magic", and
that the #initialize send would not be explicit anywhere in the code. Now I
can relax again ;-)

Peter