From: Ian Piumarta [mailto:i...@vpri.org]
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2010 2:25 AM
To: Schwab,Wilhelm K
Cc: laurent laffont
Subject: Re: [Vm-dev] Fwd: loading library with FFI fails (was [Pharo-project]
Linux vm: assertions and strategy)

On Apr 8, 2010, at 11:40 PM, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> I have no idea.  I sent email to Bill with a suggestion but he ignored
> me.  I therefore have no information about whether there is something
> funny in his Linux installation or whether there is a real problem in
> the VM (which appears to work fine for me).

I could be completely wrong about this.  If so, please disregard.
But...

 From the patch I am inferring that the odbc library specifies
"module: '/usr/lib/libodbc.so'".  This would indeed be a problem for three
reasons.

1. Mine might be in /usr/local/lib, or might be a personally-compiled version
to fix some issue with the system version.  In either case I'm screwed.

2. I might be using Darwin, in which case '/usr/lib/libodbc.dylib'
might be the only thing that would work -- or even '/System/Library/
Frameworks/ODBCFramework/Libraries/libodbc.dylib'.  Same comment as before.

3. It will never work on Windows, even if some day Windows supplies an
'odbc.dll' that is 100% compatible with the Linux one.

The usual way for the plugin to specify this library would be "module:
'odbc'" which should work perfectly in all the above cases using the latest VM
(and explains why I could not reproduce the problem using a simpler test case).
 I'm happy to modify the VM to cater for this specific situation of an
over-specified library name, but the real solution would be fix the primitive
declarations in the ODBC plugin.

Cheers,
Ian