There are rumors, that this change is motived by technical reasons related to
multitasking.
I could imagine some nice tricks related to the efforts Apple is putting into
LLVM, to actually have a 'smart' C/C++ runtime system which allows to assess
what kind of activity profile an app is going to exhibit.
This is already hard enough with C, prohibiting any VM technology seems to be a
reasonable step, if they are actually going to employ any analysis techniques
to get their multitasking stuff 'right'.

But this is pure speculation.

In the light of Steve Job's remark: "We just shipped it on Saturday, and we
rested on Sunday." everything is possible, even that he is just going...

>> http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/09/fallout-from-apples-exclusion-of-flash-to-iphone-export-continues/
The primary reason for the change, say sources familiar with Apple's plans, is
to support sophisticated new multitasking APIs in iPhone 4.0. The system will
now be evaluating apps as they run in order to implement smart multitasking. It
can't do this if apps are running within a runtime or are cross compiled with a
foreign structure that doesn't behave identically to a native C/C++/Obj-C app.

"[The operating system] can't swap out resources, it can't pause some threads
while allowing others to run, it can't selectively notify, etc. Apple needs
full access to a properly-compiled app to do the pull off the tricks they are
with this new OS," wrote one reader under the name Ktappe.
<<

Regards
Stefan

On 10 Apr 2010, at 17:46, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> There is no reasonable way for Apple to tell if an application is
> implemented in Objective-C or in some other language on top of
> Objective-C. After all, "any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran
> program contains an ad hoc informally-specified bug-ridden slow
> implementation of half of Common Lisp" [Phil Greenspun]. Why can't
> this Lisp be Pharo Smalltalk? How would they know the difference?
>
> Lukas
>
> 2010/4/10 Ramiro Diaz Trepat <ram...@diaztrepat.name>:
>> arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/apple-takes-aim-at-adobe-or-android.ars
>>
>> Sent from my Android mobile

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Stefan Marr