CompiledMethod>>#methodNode
is a conversion method
and as any conversion i would prefer it be prefixed with 'as' , i.e.
#asMethodNode

#stringVersion is used only in MessageTrace in my image.

Concerning #stringVersion:
i really don't have an idea what this stuff doing there?
Why a method reference allows putting an arbitrary data (strings)
there by various tools?

Then maybe better call it 'annotation' , and correspondingly #defaultAnnotation,
so we will know that this field used for annotations by different tools?

About #isMeta and friends:
they serve nothing , but introducing a lot of ad-hoc logic with code
branches all over the places.
We should learn how to use message dispatching better :)

IMO, the 'theClass' ivar should be capable answering this message,
along with #name, which gives the name of a class.
Method reference in its 'theClass' ivar instead of symbol, should hold
either real class object (or metaclass object),
or a proxy (in same way as method reference is a proxy by itself).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.