On 04/03/2011 02:29 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
I guess that what Stef meant is the following:
One of the problems when sharing code among mixin and stateful-trait
application is that the physical layout of instances varies between mixin
applications. (Section 6.5 of
http://bergel.eu/download/papers/Berg07e-StatefulTraits.pdf)

We have T.y and C.x
T has a method #getY, for which its bytecode returns the first slot (i.e., y).
If C uses T, the #getY needs to be adapted to return the second slot right?

Cheers,
Alexandre
Indeed. And this is not different from changing a layout of a class having as impact that you have to update the methods. The default traits implementation already recompiles all methods anyway whenever it installs the trait. What I do is, I just let the trait compile itself on the subpart of the class that originally defined the trait. Since this subpart is a copy of the original trait (just like the default traits does), it also has a COPY of the original layout. In this copy, the indices of the slots are updated when they are mixed with the class that is going to use the trait. So it's being compiled in the scope of the installed version of the trait-layout. So that easily works.

cheers