On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Marcus Denker <marcus.den...@inria.fr>wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2011, at 7:13 PM, laurent laffont wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> as I'm a little lost on Pharo 1.2 (1.2.1 full was announced but I haven't
> seen 1.2.0, no big party, no 1 million download contest, BBC announcement...
> :) I wonder how we can improve the process for 1.3.
>
> Yes, that is why I did not want to decouple the release of Core from Full.
> Because is drags out the release so far that we can not announce it
>
> But we could not, as people (inkluding those maintaining packages of Full)
> only look at released core images...
> And so I did a Core 1.2. And people looked at it. Finally. So I did a
> 1.2.1, and only after releasing that, people looked at it, so I even started
> a 1.2.2 today.. and now I am dead.

Time for a big real good fresh beer ;)

I'm thinking about:
> - not starting Pharo 1.4 too soon as I feel it will steal energy from Pharo
> 1.3.
> - freezing early to have shorter release and have less stuff to fix with
> maximum energy (it seems energy go down quickly in the fixing period)
> - a failing test should be highest priority: it's easier to fix a broken
> feature/test as soon as it appears
> - one guy should drive the release (I feel that Mariano did this for Pharo
> 1.1 and we know who we should talk to).
>

> - Get rid of the Core/Full image destinction. This does not work. And I
> will not do a release with having two images again... it never worked, and
> it will never work.

Yes, 2 images seems hard to maintain  and hard to understand for newcomers.

May be we can have:
- Metacello configurations tested separately in Pharo-Clients in Hudson
(like PetitParser, Seaside, ...) - drop the ones that don't have tests
- drop actual Pharo, rename PharoCore => Pharo.
- GUI tool in Pharo to easy load Metacello configurations (some stuff must
be easy to load for newbies, especially help)

Laurent.

Marcus