On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Igor Stasenko [via Smalltalk]
<ml-node+s1294792n4287148...@n4.nabble.com> wrote:
> On 11 January 2012 20:10, Lawson English <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [pharo list added back in for real this time]
>>
>> Would it be best to have a VM primitive that actually gives this info in a
>> cross-platform way since it is going to be more and more useful as time
>> goes
>> on?
>>

> one big issue with such primitive is lack of options which i able to
> contol for context i creating.
> As you may know there's a lot of different options , like
>  - depth buffer bits, color buffer bits, alpha bits number of back
> buffers, subpixel antialiazing,
>  auxuliarry buffers etc
>
> as i said before in other posts.. it is really hard to create a
> primitive which will allow
> you to control all those options, especially a cross-platform one.

+1.  I have been experimenting with an FFI interface to libSDL, a
cross-platform game library that abstracts window and context creation
(as well as input).  It works quite well under Mac OS X but I expect
there will be more work to make it run smoothly under Windows and
Linux.

It is my opinion that duplicating such functionality in Squeak/Pharo
is a poor use of resources.

Nick