On 16 January 2012 11:15, Frank Shearar <frank.shea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 January 2012 09:59, Lawson English <lengli...@cox.net> wrote:

>>> And I have to disagree with you here. You lack the imagination and
>>> knowledge to understand the significant advantage of having a single
>>> language, environment and toolset that Smalltalk provides.
>>

>> I agree that there is an advantage to having a unified IDE/environment/etc,
>> but Smalltalk IS stuck in the past in that it doesn't take advantage of
>> multiple cores. I'm not talking about multi-threading in the usual sense,
>> but things like the ability to debug one image from another so that the
>> errors that pop up in the application under development don't affect the
>> environment being used TO development that application. This issue pops up
>> most obviously when trying to debug Cobalt/Croquet in a multi-user
>> configuration, but arises all the time, especially when external libraries
>> (e.g. OpenGL) are being used and errors occur that the current toolset isn't
>> designed to accommodate.
>>
>> We need to develop better ways of doing things, both for individual and
>> collaborative environments. IOW, we need spoon and teatime and various other
>> solutions to mature and work together.
>
> If only we knew some folks working on the problem...
> http://marcusdenker.de/publications/Casa09aObjectSpaces.pdf :)
>
> Of course, there's a bit of elbow grease required to turn a research
> topic into a production-ready system.

yes, yes yes.. we dreaming a lot about it.

conceptually there are not too much new: you can always run two images
aside and establish communication between them
and so they are effectively a two separate object spaces.
but what is different is to make a VM which aware of it and makes use
of it, like HydraVM or kind of.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.