Sven,

I think the issue is one of mechanics

 ... Imagine a small system where we have 5 engineers doing 2 commits per day
with an average of 4 mcz files touched per commit ... that's 40 modified mcz
file per day ... 10% of the commits are aimed at a bugfix release on an earlier
version of the product, 10% of the commit are aimed at adding features for the
next functional release and 80% of the commits are aimed at the next
incremental release ...

In this scenario a Smalltalk team would struggle. I don't think the
out-of-the-box toolset can handle this (for Squeak and Pharo)...It certainly
can be done in Smalltalk, but I think it would require some additional tools
customization/development.

Your comment about git is right on:

  "Yes, git has a bit more tools, is a bit more modern, has a lot more usage
and polish"

Those things are missing from the Smalltalk toolset. The Smalltalk tool set
_can_ be improved ... is being improved ... but it has fallen behind...

At some level we are competing with git more than we are competing with other
languages...

Dale