Here it is:

Name: Image provisioning tool
Level: Intermediate
Possible mentor: ? (I don't think I'm active enough here to mentor this
project)
Possible second mentor: ?

Description
A lot of developers keep multiple images around for development, and a good
practice is to start from a fresh image for each new project. Oddly, this
process is not yet included in the common developer tools, so we rely on
custom scripts (in the best case) or lots of drags and drops (in the worst
case) to manage our development environment. We need a tool to simplify the
image management and keep track of all our projects.

The goal of this project is to build a tool to could automatically create
new projects from fresh images(ex: Core, Development) and load needed tools
and classes (ex: Seaside), and manage those projects (list, delete, etc).
This tool could also be used to deploy development code to testing and
staging images, and build the production image.

Technical Details
The image provisioning tool would need a simple interface to manage the
different projects, and be able to launch a new environment and load code
in it. We already have Metacello, a configuration and dependency tracking
tool, which can be used to get all the needed packets to create a new image.

Benefits to the Student
The student would learn a lot about package management and software
configuration management, and may be able to build a complete development
workflow/

Benefits to the Community
The Smalltalk community will gain a useful tool to streamline their
development process and gain time in research and development.