Hi Nick:

On 09 Mar 2012, at 16:26, Nick Ager wrote:

> I'm really looking forward to digesting this. I'm been flirting with Clojure
> and have been enviously looking at their STM, so this sounds really
> interesting and potentially very timely for Pharo and Smalltalk.

For you, there might still be the stumbling block performance.
My direct port of Lukas' STM [1] performs a bit better than the port of it on
top of my abstractions.

However, comparing to Clojure is not entirely fair, since Clojure only tracks
explicit 'refs'. While we in Smalltalk do not have that concept, and need to
track everything.
Lukas originally did benchmarks also with Pier or Seaside or so, don't remember
precisely. You might find something in [2].

Helvetia [3] includes also a port of the STM, so you might be able to get your
hands on some benchmarks to see whether it is fast enough for you.
Would be interested to hear whether it is fast enough in practice.

Best regards
Stefan

[1] http://ss3.gemstone.com/ss/LRSTM.html
[2] http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/transactional.html