Ben Coman wrote:
Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
The human readability is a strong point of JSON & STON, but is there any
requirement for "human edit-ability" by which I mean in a text editor?
In which case the referencing objects by counting "OrderedCollection [
Point [1, 2], @2, @2 ]" would be fragile, since insertion of an object
via text editor would offset all references. Something like
"OrderedCollection@1 [ Point@2 [1, 2], @2, @2 ]" would be more robust.
However if you expect to never need to edit the STON file in a text
editor, this point is mute.

Shouldn't relative numbering help here? Not a bulletproof solution, but for simple changes, it suffices.

The downside of this idea is a bit more cluttered look. However I notice
that evaluating #123 in Workspace returns an integer rather than a
ByteSymbol. So it would seem that #123 would never be written out in
STON format (from Pharo), which means "OrderedCollection#1 [ Point#2 [1,
2], #2, #2 ]" might be a less cluttered option, or perhaps a mix like
"OrderedCollection#1 [ Point#2 [1, 2], @2, @2 ]" doesn't detract too
much from readability.

Actually I think this enhances readability anyhow, since if there are a
lot of object references in the STON file, in a text viewer I would have
to need to manually count them to follow the references.

cheers -ben

Herby