On 28.10.2012 21:37, Benoit St-Jean wrote:
Bonjour Stéphane,

I seem to have found the cause of the problem with Locale and translation : http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2424

Is this migration to gettext still "en route" and active? Was it abandoned?

If we want a truly multilingual Pharo (and/or at least provide support for translation), we should definitely start looking at this very seriously!

What do you think?

Anyone working on this localization/translation stuff ?

Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

Gettext is purely for translating and still exists afaik, as an external package. Rationale at the time being that translations don't belong in a core image, but rather support for them loaded if one is developing a multi-language application.

Localization support in the sense of getting numbers/dates etc. printed correctly is fairly basic, limited to what you see in the Locale class. Obviously, this isn't good enough for, say, a webapp whose consumers aren't tied to the current system locale, for that interfacing the CLDR has been suggested, but not prioritized by anyone.

Cheers,
Henry