> 2012/11/25 Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.duca...@inria.fr>:
> just help :)

This is what I would like to get involved in. Hopefully it can benefit
the project.

In order of personal interest:

==

1) Positioning Pharo as THE language to learn programming. With a "fun" touch.

Smalltalk is still an excellent language/environment to learn
programming and I think: if it can be learnt while having fun, the
better!

My idea is to write simple game-programming tutorials (board games,
puzzles, etc. like this - http://inventwithpython.com/ - but cooler).
I already started working on this, that's why I bugged you guys with
Morphic questions in the past.

What I would like to offer is the knowledge and tools to use Pharo as
a post-Scratch (http://scratch.mit.edu/) for creative projects (games,
animations, stories, etc.). Conceptually similar to:
http://www.greenfoot.org/home - only it would be it would be Smalltalk
based ;-D.

I also would love to write educational software (disclaimer: I'm not a
school teacher or anything similar - although I imagine getting
involved in the area).

>From the spirit I know that maybe Squeak is more the place to go...
And also that Pharo aims to be more enterprise/research oriented. I
don't discard my code running in Squeak, but I just happen to find
Pharo easier to use / develop in.

==

2) Writing small (but attractive/useful) sample apps

... to be useful for people/small companies and get devs hooked
(return-on-investment might be low?).

Examples: a TestLink clone, a time-tracker, a corporate
contact-database, a room reservation system, etc.

The idea is to use these apps as "troyan horses", and get devs
interested in Smalltalk/Pharo (the apps would be free and open-source,
to guarantee usage/adoption). Maybe to extend / customize them for
their needs. Increase mind-share (I assure you, it's needed! None of
my past/current colleagues knew what Smalltalk was, some confused it
with Lisp).

But I'm sure this won't happen without...

==

3) Writing (documenting) Pharo

>From an "enterprise" point of view (how can I do X, because I need
this for a real-life project asap?).

I think there is a lot of work to be done here also. Documenting
classes, working on external documentation. Like how to interact with
OS processes/io, databases, deployment strategies, persistence
strategies, how to work in a team, etc.

For this I would like to collaborate in the "collaborative book". I
already have a list of things that could be added/improved, and I
think I would also learn a lot in the process. The only thing that
worries me is me not being a native English speaker (writer).

==

Some work involved in these areas overlap. Ideally I would combine all three.

So, these are the areas I would like to get involved in. It would be
great if it could benefit the project at large :-)

Best regards,

Sebastian