On 11/30/2012 02:15 AM, Goubier Thierry wrote:
> It's underway. The infrastructure is moving to a better (unified) way of
> specifying and handling shortcuts, and then vi and vim-keys and emacs
> and others should become available.

I have a radical question that I'd like to float.

What about making vi keys not only possible, but the *default* for Pharo?

They generally don't conflict with anything, because they're all
"Namespaced" under sequences that you hit Escape for. This means you
could continue to edit exactly as you do, but when you hit Esc you get
some bonus functionality.

And just because vi keys are the most hardcore interface ever of all
time, that doesn't mean it has to be for neckbeards-only. We could make
it so the text box has a status indicator, with help available and
everything. Imagine a bar at the bottom that says, "Vi Command Mode",
which can be clicked for a full help, then the rest of the bar has hints
about common commands. It could even be adaptive, like learn to tell you
commands that you haven't used much.

The same bar could also say "Stop this crazy feature I don't like it".

—☈