Am 30.01.2013 um 22:03 schrieb Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.n...@gmail.com>:

First, these are not categories. categories are for classes.
These are protocols.

Well, that's one reason I took the term "uncategorized". If I take the context menu in the category (!) pane I see

So it looks to me that pharo has the notion of categories for organizing methods.

A protocol is like an interface, or you can view it as services
offered by the instances of this class...
For example take a look at Number you have
'comparing', is a very generic service, so that any object can be in a set
numbers have this property to have full order, so they offer a bit
more than = and hash
'printing' a very generic Object protocol too for interacting
(inspectors, debuggers...)
'arithmetic' is some more specialized service offered by numbers
'mathematical functions' too.

The category is a service for humans made by humans. The methods in e.g. "comparing" would work the same without a category. I think we can agree on the fact that relying on categories in code is mostly something not desirable.

If the classification helps a lot, IMHO it's not only related to the
number of messages.
It helps to declare/discover which service will be offered, and those
can be completely transversal (printing vs comparing).

'private' has a value too, as there is no service to expect here...

So I have to disagree. I see these as essentials.

I did not decline that categories _can_ be useful and in fact they are. I'm also inclined to say that it is a good thing having all methods categorized in the distributed pharo image. So lint rules and such testing is good. But at the same time I don't see a point in enforcing it for everyone by choosing a stronger or even insulting term (at that point I decided to reply) for uncategorized methods.

Norbert

Nicolas