On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Marcus Denker <marcus.den...@inria.fr> wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2013, at 5:33 PM, "Esteban A. Maringolo" <emaring...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> 2013/2/26 Marcus Denker <marcus.den...@inria.fr>:

>>> Yes! Just imagine we continue like that… we are now (slowly, slowly)
>>> reaching a point
>>> where for the first time we can really build on top of the foundation we
>>> did.
>>
>> If you count the number of packages in SmalltalkHub and compare them
>> to the ones in Npmjs.org, it is impressive how much we have.
>
> But isn't "package" more like "repository" on smalltalkhub?
>
>> Of course NPM's user base is two orders of magnitude greater, but we
>> need to start having more killer app "modules", and some sort of
>> guideline for those starting with Pharo and/or Smalltalk.
>>

> And we need a system in the first place like that… smalltalkhub is more for
> code
> repositories, not in itself a repository of installable entities.
>
> So there is a lot of work ahead… but we will get there.

This is a great strength of programming languages like Ruby or JavaScript/Node
to propose large repositories of packages that could be installed very
easily with all the correct dependencies.

Nice to see that thanks to the guys from INRIA (and more generally
from the community), the Pharo ecosystem is following the same way. I
also agree with Marcus that the day will come where the progress will
be more visible.

I'm currently on the way to move all my packages from SqueakSource to
SmalltalkHub.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich