Hi Janko!

We have this:

 Level: intermediate
 Possible mentor: Guillermo Polito
 Possible second mentor: Esteban Lorenzano

OpenDBX. This library stands as an adaptor between different database
drivers, implemented in C. This native library supposes many problems:
  - it should be normally compiled for each different platform (Windows,
*nix, macosx) and database vendor
  - each of its bugs should be fixed in a C source code base
  - OpenDBX do not expose the particular behavior of each database vendor,
but their common denominator
  - difficulty for distribution, and problems to locate libraries.
  This project proposes to use NativeBoost bindings to remove the necessity
of the native openDBX library, simplifying the deployment of applications
using relational databases, and moving all the code base to Smalltalk.

  Technical Details: This project supposes the replacement of openDBX old
FFI bindings by direct nativeBoost bindings to the database drivers. The
new drivers should be completely written in Smalltalk, and take care of
platform and library resolution in the image side. These drivers should be
polymorphic while also enabling the access to specific API provided by
database vendors.

  Benefits to the Student
  - Use a highly reflective dynamic language
  - Learn the basics of foreign function interface (and its exponent
NativeBoost)
  - Learn how to manage external resources and platform specific native code
  - Put into usage its object design skills to transform a structured
designed library into an object oriented one

  Benefits to the Community
  - A more malleable and full smalltalk implementation of relational
database drivers
  - Easier deploy for applications using relational databases
  - Database divers exposing their particular apis, providing access to
features not available before
Guille