Le 05/04/2013 13:53, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :
Goubier Thierry wrote
I'm one of the guys which change his personal settings on any new 2.0
image... To turn auto completion off.

There has been a *lot* of work on completion as 2.0 has evolved. There are
also many settings. If you're turning it totally off, but use it in other
systems, please tell us how you would ideally like it to work and what you
feel is missing.

Both the OpenOffice and Geany work well in my opinion, but for reasons that are maybe not so convenient for Pharo...

- OpenOffice (LibreOffice) and Geany/C are single line completion and tab-to-complete, no fancy behavior you can add (like using it as a menu).
-- Disregarding / not using them even if active is easy

- Geany/C has a limited number of completions (the functions, struct members and not much else) and document your entry (does not try to just complete the function you're typing, laso gives you the prototype, i.e. names and arguments type). -- In Pharo, if you're just checking if you've got the spelling of a method right, then syntax coloring may be enough. Or use my browser and keep the target list of methods visible (maybe that's why I don't miss so much completion in 2.0 since I don't use Nautilus there)?

Oh, and is that me? Completion in Pharo on a netbook seems to decrease feedback speed when typing.

For myself, I find the following settings to be close to
perfect:
        NECPreferences
                enabled: true;
                caseSensitive: true;
                expandPrefixes: true;
                useEnterToAccept: false;
                smartCharacters: true;
                smartCharactersWithDoubleSpace: '[]{}';
                spaceAfterCompletion: false;
                popupAutomaticDelay: 100.

The real thing I miss are smart characters. They are convenient on OB, and should be a lot better in 2.0 since there was a lot of improvements. I'll try maybe to get back the smart characters on.

The only thing I was missing (but is less important now that I disabled
enter-to-accept) is promoting an exact match to the top of the list, and
matches starting with the typed characters next, followed by matches that
contain the substring (but not at the beginning).

I don't know. I would see two use cases :
* Search for a keyword I'm not sure of (I would call that search-complete)
* Complete what I am typing at the moment for maximum speed and less typos (speed-complete)

If I want speed-complete, then I want the geany single-match, single-key-complete, disappear from my view without any effort. If I want search-complete, then this is something else I need (type-and-auto-select, ast-match-search-with-exploratory-GUI, complete-or-cancel).

I'm asking the moon :)

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier