On 17 April 2013 11:23, kilon <theki...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Estaban correct me if I am wrong but AFAIK MACOS GUI is based on opengl and
> it is hardware accelerated. I hear the same applied for Linux GUIs too in
> large.

Not at all. It is same story as with Athens:
 - GUI uses Cocoa framework. Sure you can use OpenGL or Quartz for rendering,
but in most cases you just have a canvas where you draw to using
common protocol.
So, you don't need to think whether it is opengl-based or quartz or cairo.

> Anyway, my only objection is the fact that we will have twice the code to
> maintain and more to worry about. As I said I am on macos , I am a mac
> developer (not pro) still ObjC never made sense for me since it locks me
> down to a specific platform. It does however make sense to have platform
> specific code for providing better and smoother support for that platform.
> So its definetly good to have and thank you for your efforts.

Right. The objective for ObjC bridge is smoother integration with mac platform.
It has little to do with Athens but more about communicating with
underlying platform
using language it understands.

> Speedwise , I know the subject on optimisation is a huge one and there
> thousands of ways to speed up specific code. Its a more a practical one,
> since not to many people work on athens we need to choose one way that makes
> life easier for everyone and especially people who develop Athens.
>
> Part of the sucess of Cairo is that is an easy to understand little library
> that is very well documented. I would like to see Athens maintain that.

We will get there. :)