Am 12.06.2013 um 13:12 schrieb LogiqueWerks <grshipl...@gmail.com>:

> If it is not under 50Mb with min packages + my classes, then I think no one
> in the minimalist camp is going to look at my efforts ( this is my "emit Curl
> markup" as alternative-to-HTML project for learning Japanese kanji via
> personalized mnemonics. )
>
> The first image would be to parse Yaml and emit Curl markup ; the second MAY
> use Seaside to respond with MIME of text/vnd.curl  ... but I still have so
> many issues to address ... and no Xvnc installed yet ... and only Python
> 2.6.6 so far on this CentOS 6.3
>
> My aversion to PCRE is a driving force here , so I have a lot of work to do …

About what size are you talking? On disk or in memory? I think the smallest
usable image you can have at the moment will be around 10MB on disk. This
includes the whole IDE, web server etc. Most of the parts will be unloadable in
the future. So I would expect an image with some basic functionality in 2MB is
a feasible goal (in the not too far future).

In memory it really depends what you are doing. For non-seaside images running
on a server the numbers Sven mentioned are good ones. I have an image that is
19MB on disk including Seaside-Rest, XML Parser, Pastell (lightweight xpath
queries), RFB (smalltalk VNC server), Fuel (object serializer). I did not clean
the image (would probably shrink to 14-15 MB),  did not restrict heap size and
I didn't  optimize memory usage and it has 50MB in memory (RSS).

So if size is something that is important for you, you could do the parser -
markup generation below 20MB image size if your application isn't wasting a lot
of memory. Being on the resource sparing side let me tell you that seaside is
not something you want to have. Seaside does mostly server side state for
clients. So it collects quite an amount of data per user. I would guess it is
even hard to have something below 100MB in memory with a decent number of
concurrent sessions.

Norbert