On Nov 13, 2013, at 2:29 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 November 2013 11:32, Stéphane Ducasse <stephane.duca...@inria.fr> wrote:
> JB can you read and reply to this mail?
>
>> Hi
>>
>> What Doru wrote pretty much sums it up.
>>
>> CodeCity under VW was based on JUN, which provided a programmer-friendly API
>> built on top of OpenGL. Since there is no such thing under Pharo, when I
>> later started to work on CodeCity under Pharo, I needed to learn about how
>> to program directly to OpenGL. And the only example I had for that was
>> SourceCity. In the meantime I manage to get a grip on my basic needs and was
>> ready to move forward to implementing CodeCity. Now that does not work
>> anymore in Pharo 3.0 so I am stuck. I could continue to program under Pharo
>> 2.0, but what's the point?
>
> for now probably, because if you that is the one the  most interested guy in
> that does not have the time to understand why others that
> do not need 3D should do it. NBOpenGL was a side project to give a try of
> busy people too. I'm sorry to say that
> but we cannot be on all fronts especially when they are changing.
>
> So can you tell us if you see what changed between 2 and 3. I have no idea.
>

> NBOpenGL needs to be updated to sync with changes in NB about
> NBExternalStructure.
The problem of openGL on pharo 3 is exactly what Igor says.
But Montecello should be able to manage that.
+ small update of the code for linux and windows (maybe maybe not, I will see
tomorrow).

> Right now it cannot even be loaded into 3.0.
> But update is simple (i think JB did that already, just not published?).
Grrr, all my code are published ^^.

For mac:
I do the change for mac last month because I needed it, it is integrated.

For linux:
I fix, published, tested and updated the configuration for linux 2 days ago,
because Alex ask me.
On my roommate computer that work (ubuntu ).
But I need feedback.

For windows:
I publish a fix for window yesterday:NBOpenGL-Win-jeanbaptistearnaud.9 but I do
not update configuration because I cannot test it.
I was planned to go test and debug on my home computer (window 7, 64), tomorrow.
So, you can expect a fix integrated soon.

And having a working OpenGL, exactly as it work in pharo 2.0.

>> I have already looked at Roassal 3d, but it was not easy to separate the API
>> from the code.
>
> Strange because even me I could see that the shadder code should not be in
> Roassal 3D but in NBOpenGL :).
> Because Roassal 3d should not be about shadder but about 3D.
>
>> And it is something completely different than what I have been using (and
>> SourceCity, too), because Roassal 3d is using the modern OpenGL methodology
>> (with FBOs and stuff).
>
> Yes they changed the API and deprecated the old way of doing it.

I will also publish some example (using shadder) that I wrote but it is still
not yet user friendly.

>> So, I would really appreciate if that API would find its way from Roassal to
>> NBOpenGL and I could use it for CodeCity.
>
> See below
>
>> Unfortunately I am able to help a lot with that, because I know very little
>> about this and I also don't have enough time (I am doing CodeCity in my
>> spare time). But, if you have concrete things that I can do, I'd be happy to
>> help.
>

> Three remarks:
>       - I know that jean-baptiste worked on moving part of roassal3d to
> NBOpenGL

Shader part are done for now.

>       - I'm not sure that doing 3d without investing a bit in the underlying
> technology is wise. Because you will be always relying
>       on other people and probably frustrated when things are not working.
 + 1

>       - Since JB does not know how to communicate here is what he did for fun
> instead of pushing MoosePython :)
>       a renderer to  video to videos stream for openGL ->  MKV, mp4 based one
> ffmpeg). The code is openGL extra. As an example you
>       can get
>               https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uyli3tx3drendvj/qzA_Hy0jnk
> \

yes, my bad.

> Now again if nobody builds a jun like library in Pharo it will not exist.

> Stef
>

>> Cheers
>> Ricky
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Tudor Girba <tu...@tudorgirba.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I guess that what Ricky is asking is what changed between NBOpenGL 2.0 and
>> 3.0 such that this does not work anymore on Windows. The fact that he
>> mentioned 64 bits is not relevant for this discussion :).
>>
>> I also guess he wants to put some effort into understanding this as well but
>> he needs a bit of guidance. Right Ricky?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <stephane.duca...@inria.fr> wrote:
>> Richard
>>
>> you should have a look at ROASSAL 3d because ronie improved the shadder part
>> (no more assembler)
>> and his code should be split in two and one part should go to NBOpenGL.
>> Now he is experiencing some problem with NBOpenGL on windows as you.
>>
>> NativeBoost does not work on 64 bits. Yet but igor is really busy finishing
>> the texteditor (and I can tell you that
>> he does not have fun there).
>>
>> So it is important that you help because we are FULL
>> and sorry about that but really FULL.
>>
>> Ronie will visit us in January and share an office with igor.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>> > Hi
>> >
>> > CodeCity, the project I am working on is based on NBOpenGL.
>> > I'd like to start working on it using Pharo 3, but it seems that NBOpenGL
>> > does not work yet with Pharo 3.0.
>> >
>> > I downloaded from jenkins the latest image with Pharo 3 and tried to
>> > execute the following code on Windows 7, 64 bits:
>> >
>> > GLTTRenderingDemo new openInWorld.
>> >
>> > but I get a 'No suitable implementation found for initializing OpenGL
>> > context for your platform'.
>> > It seems that NBGLContextDriver does not have a subclass for Windows
>> > 64bits. Did I omit something?
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > Ricky
>> >

>> --