1) I'm a Widows user and there is no keyboard mapping for switching the alt
to control keys

So? Alt on Windows replaces Cmd on OSX for Doits, Printits etc. Ctrl-X,V,C
on Win matches Cmd-X,V,C on OSX.

Control x,c,v,f,s all work as expected. For consistency, I would like
control p to print, control i to inspect, control e to explore, and control
d to doit.

    2) I tried the debugger and the "Add breakpoint" menu command appears to
corrupt the stepping into behavior.

Adding self halt works nicer as the add/remove breakpoint basically does
that behind the scenes.

Using the "Add breakpoint" menu item feels more lightweight and does not
affect the version history.