ah, emacs.  end of conversation, from the friendly editor.  And likely the
end of Mozart Oz, only they just can't believe it.
Emacs, version 25 on the way to 125. Oz. Version 1.4 and on the way to
nowhere, but at least it got there via emacs [ enough said.]

( I remember the senseless attacks on Visual Prolog as Turbo Prolog, on
bytecode ( before Java ), DASD in favour of RAM above 640k ... )

If ever a tool set back the development of IDE's before ( gag ) IBM
WorkBench/eclipse, it was surely emacs.

But then again, someone will link eclipse to the VA Smalltalk team at
*IBM*... ( eclipse has almost shuttered the Curl IDE at
www.curl.com and www.curlap.com - to my amazement. Only IDE to rival
Smalltalk. Pooof ! And with pluggable editors and the code in the package.)

To really see the state of editors as components, just try writing tests
and docs in Japanese for a week for the programming paradigm of your
choice.  Yes, time to configure an editor for Japanese is not included,as
that would be unfair.

( painful reminder : even Kobo, the e-reader, is lame compared to Amazon
Kindle, as a Japanese reader. And the Sony e-reader is gone.  And that is
just mere Japanese text display without annotation, let alone editing for
development.  But Apple fans far out-number emacs advocates, don't they?
;-)

Pharo 3 for coding in Japanese is now the best IDE of which I am aware.
And it is a great pleasure to see that.

My thanks to everyone who helped bring Unicode to Pharo and Pharo to
Unicode fonts.

And there is still no IDE for swi-prolog. Because Logtalk + SWI wouldn't
benefir from an IDE, would it.  At least not in my lifetime ( Prolog
development maps to my life from post-college to retirement thus far, with
the earliest steps taken while I was in high school.  A close match to
Smalltalk, in that one idiosyncratic regard.)

:-)