> On 25 Apr 2014, at 22:20, Esteban A. Maringolo <emaring...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So coming back to Pharo realm, this is why I think ORM is really
>> important for us, and I'm really happy this discussion finally took
>> place.
>
> But one of his points was that ORM layers made SQL obsolete by hiding much of
> its power, the ability to do (query and other) processing on the DB.

You're right. But once stored in a RDBMS you can do a lot of things
with the data, using all its power.
I certainly don't expect to do OLAP with millions of rows converted to
objects in the client (Pharo) side.

As a disclaimer I have to admit I'm completely ignorant of "BigData"
things such as Hadoop and similar, I barely grasp their main purpose.

> BTW, I don't think there is such a thing as transparent persistency.

Certainly there isn't. Particularly for Objects.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo